I love making Risotto but I was first introduced to Risotto Balls by my friend Kristen during a weekend visit. They are the perfect way to repurpose leftover Risotto as an appetizer or a crispy element with salad!
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 cups leftover Risotto
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego or Pecorino Romano (sheep dairy)
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs (or 20 Glutino Crackers chopped fine)
- 1/2 Tbs each dried parsley, oregano and thyme
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- Combine bread crumbs, parsley and garlic to create an Italian style crumb.
- Stir the eggs, risotto, cheese, 1/2 cup of the bread crumb mixture in a large bowl to combine.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a medium bowl.
- Using about 2 tablespoons of the risotto mixture for each, form the risotto mixture into 1 3/4-inch-diameter balls. Roll the balls in the seasoned bread crumbs to coat.
- Fry the rice balls in 350 degree vegetable oil until brown and heated through, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Salt and serve hot.