Ham, bean and greens are an Easter staple. When we get tired of leftovers, I repurpose it all into a beautiful, hearty soup. Since everything is cooked, this soup goes together in less than 30 minute.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups leftover, cooked ham
- 4 cups of chicken or pork stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 cups of leftover cooked white beans
- 2 cups of left over greens
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of salt, if needed
- Heat olive oil in a pan and saute the vegetables. Deglaze with a little stock and transfer to a soup pot.
- Add the remaining stock and bring to a boil. Add 1 tsp of salt and 10 cracks of pepper.
- Add the ham and beans. Cook until simmering. Taste your salt content and adjust if needed.
- Add the greens and make final seasoning adjustments.
- Remove the bay leaf & serve with cornbread!