Happy National Mulled Wine Day! Evidently it March 3 every year. In honor of that, here is a great recipe!
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of dry red wine
- 1/4 cup brandy (or orange liqueur)
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds (also peeled, if you would like a less-bitter drink)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup to taste (or your desired sweetener)
- optional garnishes: citrus slices (orange, lemon and/or lime), extra cinnamon sticks, extra star anise
Combine all ingredients in a crockpot on low, stirring occasionally. Watch the temperature. You only want it simmering. Simmer for about an hour and serve!
Garnish with orange slices and cinnamon sticks!