Gluten and Dairy Free
Lemon Curd is great in a tart, served on the side with berries or on toast. If you are allergy conscious, anything in a jar is suspect. Home made curd is fairly easy and absolutely delicious!
1 1/2 cups sugar
8 Tablespoon of butter substitute or solid coconut oil, room temperature
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Zest three lemons (avoiding the pith) and chop finely. Then juice.
2. Cream the butter substitute, sugar with the eggs
3. Add lemon juice, sugar, salt and zest. Mix until incorporated
4. Apply to heat ( I suggest a double boiler to prevent eggs from scrambling) until the mixture thickens. Approximately 10 minutes.
1. Add a little fresh lavender for a delightful infused curd. Or create a simple glaze with lavender for your fresh berries.
2. You can cook this directly on the heat but it takes vigilance to keep the eggs from scrambling.
3. If you want to go Paleo, use 1/3 a cup of honey instead of sugar. Your curd will be thinner
Yields- about a cup and a half
Level- Moderate like making a Hollandaise