- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 pounds beef oxtails, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 a medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced on a bias
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons coarse Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
Season the sliced oxtail with salt, pepper and allspice. Sear on all sides in a hot pan with oil. Transfer to a pressure cooker or Dutch oven.
Add the celery, onion, shallot and garlic to the pan and sauté until they begin to brown. Add to the oxtail when done.
Add the remaining ingredients. Securely fasten the pressure cooker and bring to temperature. Cook for 45 minutes. (note: if using a Dutch oven bring ingredients to a boil and transfer to a 325 degree oven for 3 hours until tender).
Add the julienned carrots 10 minutes before it is complete.
When cooked, transfer to a plate. A gravy may be made from the liquid after removing fat. Garnish with parsley and serve with potatoes or grits.