As we begin to bid farewell to summer, I thought I would celebrate with pesto. This universal sauce is so easy to make and divine!
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts (Almonds Work Too)
- 1/2 Cup Premium Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Manchego, Grated (Romano or Parmesan if you are not Dairy Free)
- 1 TBS of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (roasted or sauteed)
- 2 Cup of Firmly Packed Basil
- 1 tsp of Kosher or Sea Salt
- 10 cracks of fresh Pepper
- Food Processor or Blender
Combine all ingredients but the olive oil. Blend on low, as you drizzle in the olive oil in your food processor or blender.
Serve on nearly anything… fish, chicken, pork, pasta… a flip flop 🙂
PS. Basil is virtually calorie-free (the cheese isn’t), In addition to antioxidants, basil is a rich source of vitamin K, zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium and dietary fiber. Almonds are also a bad cholesterol scavenger. Studies suggest that olive oil is good for inflammation. Now you can indulge guilt free.