Mock Mashed Potatoes/ Celery Root Puree
- 2-3 cups goat milk
- 3 pounds celery root, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Tip: Peel celery root back past this fibrous ring for smooth puree.
- Peel the celery root as above to remove all of the fibrous peel
- Bring milk, smashed garlic clove and celery root to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until very tender, about 30 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Puree the celery root, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor (or blender) until smooth and the consistency of thinned mashed potatoes. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, for the right consistency.
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 cups