A complete recipe is below though I often make this from my freezer “scrap bag”. Anytime we make fresh brocolini, I freeze the stalks and trimmings. I use those in place of fresh broccoli, leaving them in to puree. Last remnants of cheese make a delightful soup as well. This is a quick 20 minute soup perfect with sandwiches, ladies lunch or a cold day!
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups of broccoli stems
- 1 cup goat milk
- 1 cup of broccoli heads, cut into florets
- 2 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth if you are vegetarian)
- 1 cup shredded firm goat cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
Note: cheddar cheese and whole milk can be used if you are not avoiding cow dairy
- Saute onion and carrot for 5 minutes in olive oil
- Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes
- Add chicken stock and broccoli stems. Simmer for 10 minutes until stalks are bright green.
- Remove stalks and simmer until carrots are soft
- Puree the broth
- Return to the pot
- Add milk and broccoli tops. Simmer for 10 minutes until bright green.
- Stir in the grated cheese to finish
- Enjoy the creamy deliciousness