- 2 pounds of butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter substitute
- 2 cloves garlic lightly smashed
- 6-7 fresh sage leaves
- 1 lemon zested
- 1/8 cup of stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put a small pot of salted water on to boil. When the water comes to a boil, add the carrots. 3 minutes latter add the butternut squash. Cook for about 15 minutes or until tender. Remove and drain.
- To the now empty pot, add the butter substitute and melt.
- Add the garlic and lightly toast.
- Add the lemon zest
- Add the squash mixture and the butter, garlic and lemon to a food processor. Add the stock as needed to achieve the right texture.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly fry sage leaves in olive oil and top the puree
Goes well with chicken or pork as an alternative to rice or mashed potatoes.